23 Jul AiroAV Malware Stated: Sales and Marketing Manager Job Opening in Berkeley, Califo…
Sales and Marketing Manager
Parallax Press is opening a position for a new Sales and Marketing Manager.
Parallax Press is a nonprofit publisher founded by the Vietnamese peace activist Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. We publish books and media on the art of mindful living and Engaged Buddhism. We are committed to offering teachings that help transform suffering and injustice. Our mission is to contribute to collective insight and awakening, bringing about a more joyful, healthy, and compassionate society. Parallax Press is the publishing division of Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism, a 501(c)3 organization. As such, we are committed to a sustainable and humane way of doing business. We strive to practice what we publish; we send free books to people who are incarcerated, and we structure in meditation and mindfulness practices as part of the working day.
Parallax was founded in 1986, with the publication of Thich Nhat Hanh’s book Being Peace. We publish authors whose books nourish happiness and show the connection between the inner and outer work for a more just and peaceful world. We have more than 150 active titles in print, and our books are available in 35 languages in countries around the world. We are supported primarily through our book sales, and our books are distributed to the trade by Penguin Random House.
This is a role that is responsible for Parallax Press’s successful sales of print and digital media offerings. You will work collaboratively with a team of peers to promote and sell our books and digital publications to the widest possible audience, handling market positioning, sales, relationship development, promotional campaigns, and distribution and inventory management.
- Manage the sales and marketing activities of Parallax Press, working closely with the Sales Director and Publisher on sales opportunities, trade sales, direct-to-consumer sales, advertising campaigns, subsidiary rights, and partnerships.
- Co-steward the fiscal fitness of Parallax Press’s sales operations, working as a team with the Sales Director, the Bookkeeper, and the Publisher.
- In coordination with the Sales Director, the Operations Director, and production staff, oversee inventory flow and management, including monitoring demand, initiating reprints, and triggering remainder sales.
- Serve as the primary liaison with our distributor, Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS), ensuring that our sales reps have everything they need to properly position and sell our titles. Manage sales materials in the PRHPS system, including Title Information sheets, sell-sheets, and copy for catalogs. Present titles at sales meetings as needed and act as the main point of contact for follow-up. Manage all non-editorial aspects of the PRHPS system MyHouse, collecting seasonal information and completing PRHPS upload forms with meticulous attention to detail.
- Regularly report on sales performance, industry trends, and sales rep feedback.
- Collaborate with the Community Engagement Director and Social Media team on direct-to-consumer sales via our website.
- Attend editorial, cover design, and marketing meetings. Collaborating with the editorial and marketing teams, contribute to ways to repurpose our backlist content into new forms.
- Collaborate with the Creative Director and Publicity Director on the strategy and implementation of seasonal and individual book marketing campaigns.
- Support overall company branding efforts led by the Creative Director.
- Travel 2–3 times per year to co-represent Parallax Press at sales presentations, book festivals, trade shows, etc., as well as to our annual company retreat at the monastery headquarters of the International Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism in France.
Salary and Benefits
This position will be based in our office in Berkeley, California, with the potential to work from home. Salary dependent on experience. Parallax offers a full range of benefits, including health, dental, vision, and retirement. We also offer flexible hours, the opportunity to take meditation and mindfulness retreats, and a supportive and joyful work environment.
Parallax is an equal opportunity employer. Awareness around color, class, culture, gender, and privilege is central to our work. We encourage candidates of all ages, race, ethnicity, education levels, ability, gender identity, and sexual orientation to apply. Please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Strongly preferred skills and experience include:
- 3+ years in a book publishing or book selling role
- Adept user of Acumen, Microsoft Office, GSuite, and project management tools
- Familiarity with the Penguin Random House Publisher Services ecosystem
- Digital-first approach to book marketing; experience in content marketing (Amazon A+, social media), SEO best practice, email newsletter marketing, e-commerce (Woo Commerce), WordPress, Facebook and Instagram advertising, Amazon advertising
- Copywriting skills for the socially engaged body, mind, and spirit audience